Friday, September 27, 2013

Cross Stitch

I went to visit a friend in September.  I knew I'd need a little something to work on while traveling, but I didn't think I'd have enough hexagons to work on.  Then I saw the Frosted Pumpkin Halloween Sampler and I fell in love.  I've done needlepoint in the past, but always resisted cross stitch.  I've got a new addiction.  I got the border done before I left, so I had t buy a second pattern to make sure I had enough to work on.

But I'm a sewist, so I couldn't just leave it at that.  I had to make a case for my projects.  I took inspiration from the Sewing Portfolio I had just finished.  I measured how big my Q-Snap frame is and added an inch and half all the way around.

 This was a great opportunity to use some hoarded Tula Pink fabric.
I simplified the inside with just two pockets and a loop for attaching scissors or other items.  If I were making another one, which I won't be, I'd add flaps to close the pockets.  I added some pink and white pokka dot fabric to the zipper so that the portfolio would have enough depth to hold the frame.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Sewing Room Swap

I jumped back into swaps this summer.  We did a tote bag swap with the Des Moines Modern Quilt Guild.  Our September meeting, when we were to exchange totes, got canceled because of some really terrible weather.  Therefore, we still haven't swapped.  The other swap was a flickr one.  We were to make something for our partner's sewing room or something to be used for sewing.  My partner requested something to carry her hand sewing.  One of the items in her inspiration mosaic, was the Sewing Portfolio by Kerry Berry for the Liberty of London blog.  This was totally out of my comfort zone.  I've never sewn with interfacing and I rarely do zippers.
 I changed the pattern a bit, big surprise.  I made it bigger to fit the patchwork panels I made for the exterior.  I also added a decorative zipper pull.
 On the inside, there are 3 pockets and two spool or accessory holders.
I made a pin cushion and a needlebook for my small items.  I also included a spool of Aurifil and seam ripper, so that my partner could hit the ground sewing.