Sunday, June 16, 2013

Log Cabins Around the World

I bought this cheater panel ages ago.  It's by Jill McDonald from the what a world collection.  I got two of the panels because it was so cute.  I thought maybe I'd make some pillows for the basement family room.  Then, a year ago we put our house on the market and there, wasn't any point in sewing for the house since I wouldn't be able to use any of it as we were trying to neutralize the decor.

Fast forward to recently and in our new house we've been spending a lot more time in the basement.  I needed a quilt for the family room in the new basement.  What can I say, it's Iowa and everyone has a finished basement with a family room.  I cut apart each of the squares and then built log cabins around them.  I used a variety of bright fun colors.


My rule in building the log cabins was that one side would be solid and I would piece the other 3 sides. This allowed maximum efficiency in using my fabric and scraps.

I sashed the all the blocks with this pokka dot.  Which I think was from another Jill McDonald collection.

For the backing I sewed together four 1 yard cuts of Perfectly Perched.
I have big plans for this quilt.  It is going to be my first long arm quilted quilt.  Tune in soon for more adventures in quilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment