Sunday, April 10, 2011

House warming present

A good friend of mine is moving into a new house this weekend.  Her taste in furnishings is distinctly modern.  She has this awesome painting of a sky scrapper in her living room that is cream, orange, chocolate and just a bit of a dark teal green.  Since I know she likes the painting, I used that as a starting point for a lap quilt for her new house.  In addition, I had asked her what colors she wants.  It never hurts to be forth coming when you want to make a quilt for someone you know.  I've been collecting orange fabrics for the last month or so, as it was definitely a lack in my stash.

I was planning on doing a woven stacks quilt like this one by Elizabeth Hartman.  However, when I went to pull fabrics, I decided that it would end up with too much chocolate, if I did one stack orange and one chocolate.  My friend wanted mostly cream and orange.  Then I thought about what other designs would be modern, easy to put together and would be adaptable to using whatever I had in my stash.  I went back to Emily Cier's Quilt Remix and her redo of a log cabin block.  I really like the idea of the whole quilt being one "block".  It seems more modern than repeating lots of little blocks.

I didn't end up following the pattern in the book, but ya'll knew that already.  I just starting pulling scraps and strips leftover from other projects into concentric squares.  Wherever I needed to piece a strip, I put in a little scrap of something else.  I didn't have any teal, so I used a few pieces of lime green instead.
 The lime doesn't stand out much, but it's a little element that is jarring, which makes you look twice.  I also made sure that I moved the patch areas around the square so they didn't line up.
Of course, I had to do a little improvised piecing for the back as well.  It's a lap quilt, so you'll see the back almost as much as the front.
I really love the way this quilt is turning out.  I think I need to do more improvised piecing.  It makes me really happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment