Sunday, July 1, 2012

Postage Stamp QAL

More than a year after the QAL finished, I finished up the Postage Stamp Quilt.  A funny thing happened, I discovered that in addition to the two jelly rolls I had bought last year, I also had a layer cake and a bunch of yardage.  I brought the lot of it with me to show to a friend to get her opinion and while we were discussing it, another friend saw it and fell in love.  She didn't need a bed sized quilt, which is what I had been thinking of making, but she could use a lap quilt, so that's what I made.  Yay for my second quilt sale.

 The front is totally traditional postage stamp quilt.  I had to cut a few extra patterned fabric strips to make up for the duplicate strips that I didn't use.  I used some coordinating fabrics from other lines to round out the jelly roll collection.
 I quilted it very simply with a straight line on the diagonal through the patterned squares.  I pinned this one instead of my usual spray basting and it went really smoothly.  I didn't have enough pins to do the whole quilt at once so I pinned half of it really densely and the other half loosely and then laid it out and repinned when I had quilted the first half.  It worked surprisingly well.  I have now purchased more pins so hopefully I won't have to do that again.
For the back I sewed together the layer cake in a big patchwork and threw a border on it from the yardage I had to bring it up to size.  Again, considering this was something like 70x80 it all went surprisingly smoothly.  It is now gracing my friend's home and I hope it brings her many years of warmth and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment