Saturday, October 5, 2013

Quilts for Foster Kids

The Des Moines Modern Quilt Guild is collecting quilts for foster kids to be included in care packages.  This is a charity project I can get behind.  I went through my pile of completed quilts and picked one that I thought would cheer up a child going through a really tough time.  I also wanted to make a new one, that was specifically for the project.  I followed the directions on Cheryl Arkison's Blog Naptime Quilter.  I made improv slabs 15.5 inches square.  I divided my blue scraps into light, medium and dark.  I tried to leave out the overtly feminine fabrics, so that this would be more BOY.  A few flowers found their way in, but so did lots of Star Wars, so that should balance out, right?  After making 9 blocks I can the lid back on the blue scrap bin.


I sashed the blocks with 3.5 inch strips of Moda's Steel grey.  If I make another of these quilts I may make the blocks 18.5 inches square so I don't have to sash but still have a good snuggle size quilt.  On the back I took a length of light grey and fitted in a row of grey, black and dark blue scraps.  My favorite kind of backing.  


I have it all basted together and ready for quilting, which I will do next week, after my new work mate arrives.  That's right, thanks to the awesome sale at the AQS quilt show this week, I bought myself a Janome 8900, but that's another post.

1 comment:

  1. There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impact of just a moment's pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

    Best Cardsharing

    ReplyDelete