Sunday, September 11, 2011

Dead Simple QAL

I really have a ton of projects that need to be done by Christmas, but I couldn't resist joining in with Lynne's latest QAL.

Lily's Quilts

The Dead Simple QAL is all about the palette.  Try a color combination outside of your usual.  Some folks found their palette at Design Seeds.  I was hesitant at first because I thought it was a solids project and as much as I like solids, I didn't want to do a completely solids project right now.  Then I saw that people were using prints as well.  Heck, I needed a good fall wall hanging.  My living room is blue and brown, but I wanted to incorporate fall colors, orange and greens.  I couldn't find a palette that had all the colors I wanted, so surprise, surprise I made my own.  I did what I usually do and found a fabric I liked that had all my colors and worked from there. 

This is my inspiration fabric,  Remix.

I spent a lot of time working out the correct kona solids, but then I realized I could use prints too.  I went to Hawthorne Threads, who have a color grid that you can use to search their inventory.  It's the best idea ever.  I don't know why more places don't do it.  It gives you a reliable way of judging the color of fabrics on line.  I started adding fabrics to my shopping cart and I realized, "hey, I think I have some of that already...and that one... and that one... Crap!  I already own every single fabric I need for this project."  I might even have had multiple cuts of a few of them.  (Hangs head in shame)

So here is my selection.

 I'm not totally sure about my yellow and my tan.  I included two possibilities for each.  I want this to read orange and brown with pops of green and blue, so I might adjust the concentrations as I'm working.  I'm aiming for a wall hanging so I'm not going to follow the sizes Lynne gives directions for.  I'm also not totally sure about the white.  I can't decide if I want to do charm squares or 2.5 inch squares.  I'm thinking 3 feet by 4 feet, so 2.5 inches square would be doable.  I can always cut charm squares and then cut them into little squares if I need the challenge.

I love picking fabrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment