Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Measuring fail

I've been working on a baby quilt for the kiddos' preschool teacher.  Wee Monsieur had her 2 years ago and Baby Girl had her last year and this year.  It's been slow going because I've been watching the Olympics during sewing time.  I finally buckled down and got the top and back completed.  I laid everything out on the living room floor to baste it and discovered that my backing is 3 inches short in one direction and barely big enough in the other.  My top is 58 inches square and I thought I'd made the backing about 64.  I guess I didn't.

My sewing time has also been cut down dramatically due to the fact that Hubby is now working in the basement family room, otherwise known as my sewing studio.  We turned his office back into a bedroom when we put our house on the market.  Now, I can't sew during the day while he's working, as he works from home.

I need to get this quilt done by next week as that is when school starts and the recipient is due Sept 1, but has a history of going early.  I don't want to be stuck with another baby quilt sitting in my closet for 4 months because I didn't get it gifted before maternity leave, not that I know anything about that.  At least I'll be able to give the current closet occupent to Wee Monsieur's teacher next week when school starts.  I feel bad that I didn't get it to her in the Spring before the baby, but it at least she'll have it before the weather gets cold. 

No comments:

Post a Comment