Sunday, January 1, 2012

Quilt for my dad

My dad occasionally checks in on my blog, so I didn't want to ruin the Christmas surprise on his quilt.  Then I sort of forgot to blog about it, until now.
 I've seen this pattern in a few places on flickr, but always in small scale.  I have a feeling it is someone's pattern, but my inspirations on flickr didn't say where they got the pattern, so I can't give the original credit for the inspiration.  I was looking for a pattern that would come together quickly and show off some of the large scale prints in the Central Park line that makes up most of the front of this quilt.  They are just squares sashed on two sides and rotated 90 degrees for each block.  I had quarter yard cuts and knew that if I cut them up too much, I wouldn't have enough fabric for a nice sized lap quilt.  This worked perfectly.  The quarter yard cuts were generous, so each square is 10 inches with 2.5 inches of white sashing on 2 sides.
 For the backing I did an improv courthouse steps to use up every bit of yardage leftover.  I threw in some Kona Aqua and a burgundy tonal that my Dad's wife had given me for this quilt.
The binding is a Connecting Threads stripe that had the blue purples and red purples from the prints.  I also used one of my GutenTag tags.  I love those things.

1 comment: