Saturday, May 14, 2011

Blogger's Quilt Festival

Have you checked out The Blogger's Quilt Festival?  Everyone is linking up their favorite quilts.  It's amazing to see what everyone is doing.

I wanted to share the quilt that got me started quilting.  This is also the special quilt that I've mentioned recently.  In the fall of 2009, I got an idea to make an advent calendar for my kids.  I wanted to make a Christmas tree with antique buttons sewn on to hold small ornaments.  Each day the kids would get to hang a new ornament on the tree.  I had made quilts with my mom, but never sewn on my own before.  I started exploring the local quilt shops and fell in love with the Figgy Pudding line from Moda.  I didn't buy any, because I didn't yet know what I wanted to do.  I came back after Christmas and they were almost sold out!  There was only a honey bun and a few 3/4 yard cuts lefts.  I bought what they had and came home to figure out how to make it work.  While I was thinking, I made a simple throw for our living room to get some practice.  Eventually, working on our dining table I put this design together.
I took it to my quilter to ask how she thought I should finish it because I was thinking about adding pockets for the ornaments.  My quilter loved it and asked if I had thought about selling the pattern.  this was my second quilt and my first original pattern, so of course I had never thought about selling the pattern.

I'll always be fond of this quilt and this pattern because it changed the way I think about myself.  I'm a quilter and proud of it!

I quilted the sky background horizontally and the tree mostly vertically.  I love the little trees print.  I also  love the nontraditional colors for Christmas, pale aqua and olive.
You might notice that there are no buttons.  Yeah, I still haven't gotten around to doing the advent calendar part.

8 comments:

  1. Just the colors I use for Christmas. I love this idea for a Christmas Wall hanging. I've seen that Moda line and almost bought some. So glad you got what you needed for this quilt!

    You deserve congratulations on making your own pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty. I love the colours. Figgy Pudding was the very first pre cut I ever bought. It's still sitting in my stash untouched. I really love it but I'm not quite sure what I want to do with it.
    It's a great design, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the non traditonal back ground too. It's gorgeous and you should be justifiably proud.

    It's an amazing work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderfull idea, wonderfull design and wonderfull quilt! You did a realy good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the tree! and what a cool idea to hang ornaments on it (eventually!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS Forgot to say, thanks for the comment on my rainbow quilt - I love that you think my flip-flop disaster is a mark of creativity - I'm going to tell everyone that :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great Christmas quilt.It's also great that it's your own design. It certainly was a great start to your quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is amazing! You really should make a pattern for it. I have a Figgy Pudding honey bun that I have been wanting to use.

    ReplyDelete