Saturday, December 3, 2011

Advent Calendar

Two years ago, I had this idea for an advent calendar.  It would be a Christmas tree with buttons to hang ornaments from.  Every day the kids would put a new ornament on the tree until it was completely decorated.  There was a problem.  I didn't know how to make it, or where to start to learn.  I decided that I would quilt it and then proceeded to teach myself to quilt so that I would eventually be able to make the vision in my mind.

I finally finished the advent calendar.  I'm so proud of how far I've come in 2 years.  I give you the advent calendar.
 The Tree is my Christmas tree pattern that won a 3rd prize at the quilt show in September.

 Originally, I was going to run the pockets down the sides, but then I realized I would have to make them too small to hold the ornaments.  I think putting them at the bottom worked just fine.

I made the pockets way too complicated and I wish they had some negative space horizontally, as well as vertically.  When I make another one, I know just what I would do differently.  I used some fussy cut number fabric to applique on for the numbers.  I think the fabric was part of the Authentic by Sweetwater line.  Don't quote me on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment