Wednesday, March 2, 2011

WIP- Shoo Fly blocks

This week has been filled with quilty goodness.  I took a class at my local quilt guild on Monday.  The teacher was Kathleen Tracey, the author of  Civil War Sewing Circle.
 We worked on the Shoo Fly doll quilt.  I used a different color scheme than she recommends.  Hers is chocolate and pink.  Those are usually two of my favorite colors, but I just wasn't feeling the fabrics I have in my stash.  Clearly I need to buy more pink fabric.
I used another of my favorite color combinations, aqua and green.
 I after getting half of the blocks done I decided that it doesn't have enough contrast.  I added some extra sashing and I think I'm going to turn it into a pair of placemats.  My quilt guild donates placemats to Meals on Wheels.  I think these would brighten someone's day, and I hate ufo's.  These will be great for practicing some quilting techniques.
I'll definitely have to try this again when I've got the right fabrics.  I'm thinking pink, green and white.  The little HST's are fun to play with.

3 comments:

  1. Your Shoo Fly blocks are pretty, I'm sure whoever Meals on Wheels brings the place mats too will love them. That is such a great way to brightn someone's day and stop UFOs from piling up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your warm words on my Homage to Mondrian quilt!
    I'd love to see your quilt!
    Noga

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually like the low-volume aspect of your blocks!

    I laughed out loud at your "clearly, I need to buy more pink fabric" line for some reason. Maybe because I've uttered/thought the same thing on many an occasion!

    ReplyDelete