Thursday, February 3, 2011

Scrappy Robot Lap Quilt

I finished up the lap quilt for my son's birthday.  I had to mix up the blocks I had.  I made quite a few scrappy log cabin blocks and one Happy Hour block left over from the big quilt.  I only had enough scraps to make 20 blocks.  I wanted a 5 by 5 block quilt and thought I'd put the Happy hour in the middle.  I had to come up with 4 more.  I just made a four 3 stripe blocks to fill out the number I needed.

 I added more of the yellow stripe from the backing of the big quilt as sashing between the blocks.  This got me up to the size I wanted and disguised some corners that didn't line up very well.  Sashing is new to me, but I think I like it.
 
I ended up tying this one just like the zig zag quilt.  I was in a big hurry and again I used I piece of minky for the back and just didn't feel like messing with the stretch factor.  I used yellow embroidery floss in the sashing and little blue in the center of the blocks.
 Isn't the minky back perfect?  It's so soft and cozy and the color is perfect.
I bound the quilt in more of the yellow stripe.  I had meant to add a border of the yellow, but forgot and cut the batting.  The border was already cut to 2.5 inches, which is the size of binding I use, so there wasn't any waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment